Tuesday, June 27, 2006

June 7, 2006 Waynesboro

Waynesboro was cooler than I thought it'd be but I couldn't complain about the refreshing breezes that'd stir while sitting under a tall tree. The sky was filled with billowing clouds most of the week, making for a dramatic backdrop for the first leg of our journey. These two factors lended itself to many hours out-of-doors for the children. Mom borrowed two tricycles from friends. It did not take Eva long to figure out how to ride. She'd want assistance getting started but within a day or so she was able to go off and on for hours. Eli would sit on the seat and walk his tryke around - Fred Flinstone style. He too, the last day or so, mastered the tricycle. Granddaddy and I would sit in our lawn chairs watching the entertainment. Anna came by the first day while on her break from work. It was a pleasant surprise. We relaxed on the swing and played with the children. Mom had a Dr's appointment so she missed our gathering. She joined us for lunch at 250 Central, which started out a bit wild but was soon tempered as food hit the little bellies. Eva had a breakdown in the parking lot on the way to the car - I honestly can not remember the reason for the life of me now, but it was the first sign of a tired girl, missing her daddy.

Mom and I came up with a menu for the week and lucked out as Julia from next door agreed to watch E + E while we went grocery shopping. I had my first tour of the famous Martin's Super Market. Waynesboro has the full offerings of a super super store. Mom and I took our time, checking out the new store. I could not resist an indulgence, a bag of Martin's potato chips. Little did I know this was just the beginning of a holiday of indulgences. I even had a few handfuls on the way home.

Julia had everything under control until I got there and interrupted the balance. The children burst in to a sibling fight which brought tears on both sides. Of course, Sey Sey showed up just at this was taking place. The confusion level grew as she handed Eva a box of girl scout cookies before dinner and the protest escalated as I took them from her. We barely got it back together in time for dinner. Mark, Pam and Anna came over as well. After a stressful time getting the wee ones to sleep, I was able to visit with mom, dad and Susan. What finally worked was the guilt method. I simply explained that I never get to see my mommy, daddy and sister. I needed them to go to sleep so 'i could go and visit. It worked. The children even slept through the night the next 5 nights until 6:30am. I was shocked to hear them running down the hall every morning, leaving me to my rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment