Wednesday, September 30, 2009

good bye summer

We are a little delayed here in SF. We don't actually get much of a summer but you are as likely to find that summer day in Autumn, or even Winter. I've been here for 14 years and still find myself wandering around the seasonal calendar confused. Yesterday, I decided to say good bye to summer by purchasing a few items I won't put in my shopping cart until next year. I got three quarts of strawberries and some black mission figs, and a bunch zucinni (well these will not go away for us all fall.)  After school we brought home Avalon for a playdate and we all sat down to a strawberry short cake, which I must admit I did not make all summer. The strawberries were a little disappointing - lesson learned, leave them behind after Labor Day. I adapt a scone recipe from The New Joy of Cooking, it's actually always marked by the red ribbon that is attached to the binding. Oatmeal Scones. We make these all the time, the melted butter makes them easy for breakfast or afternoon treat. I did not have any whipping cream so Avalon's mom donated Devenshire cream - a little bit much!

Oven at 450, ungreased baking sheet
Whisk together:
1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup sugar, or less
1 tablespoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt
Stir in:
1 1/4 cup rolled oats
(they make with Raisins or Dates. We usually add candied ginger and walnuts but today they were plain)
Whisk together, then add all at once:
1 large egg
10 tablespoons warm melted unsalted butter
1/2 cup of milk

Drop scones: makes 6 LARGE scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment