Saturday, January 09, 2010

redirecting energies to food - KALE


During the holidays I was too busy sewing, baking, celebrating for cooking. every day I'd kind of moan inside when I realized it was time to come up with another meal. after eating holiday food for a month I've been inspired to get out the cookbooks and fill our bellies with more nutrients and less sugar. my friend Suzanne told me about a recipe for a raw kale salad during our Christmas day hike. she promptly emailed me the recipe, she's so good at this. I had a bag of mixed greens (red russian kale and baby collards).I only had sprouted grain Alvarado bread to make bread crumbs but they were fine (I food-process them and toast in a pan with olive oil until brown). It was incredible, I'm not sure if it was because my body was in kale deprivation or what, but I'm in love with this salad. Eva ate three helpings and asked for me to make it for dinner tonight, so guess what's in the fridge right now, washed and ready? 

Suzanne has used arugala instead of kale, I used feta as we served it with rocatta ravioli. I can just see the possibilities with this salad; served with meat, adding dried fruit and other nuts, maybe a roasted vegetable. 



Kale Salad 

(Recipe was passed on from a mom at school,not sure her source,my apologies for not giving credit.)

1LB dino kale discard stems, cut chiffonade style.
1 cup bread crumbs
3TBS toasted pine nuts
1 cup crumbled feta or ricotta salata

dressing:
2TBS finely chopped shallot
1 1/2 TBS lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 1/2 TBS olive oil

toss all together.

Suzanne has used kale, I used feta as we served it with rocatta ravioli. I can just see the possibilities with this salad; served with meat, adding dried fruit and other nuts, maybe a roasted vegetable. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm convinced that we crave what our bodies need. Sometimes I want to literally shove handfuls of unadorned greens into my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sydney - you've always been a bit of a rabbit, now I have the proof. the dinner sean fixed had my children in awe, they loved it, and they want me to have the recipe!

    ReplyDelete